Sunday, October 2, 2011

Temple of Sloth Blog Post

The Man, The Myth, and the Music: A Brief Look into Temple of Sloth
taken from the "Temple of Sloth Blog"

Music is as natural in my veins as blood. It's what keeps me going, keeps me sane. For over 5 years, I had created music based around my life under different names (DJ Acid Trip, The Astroid Andy Experience, and ) The music I made helped me concentrate on something other than the issues I was dealing with in real life, it became a sanctuary and escape from all the pain. So I pressured it ravenously. In the 21 years I have been alive, I have been through a lot of great things and events of pure horror. From finding love to the grips of multiple drug addiction, I'm lucky to still be functioning.

Asroid Andy had been my main (and proudest) outlet of music since 2008. That was the year I reinvented myself, mentally, physically, and musically. I had went from making sloppy Techno music to making beautifully arranged experimental, progressive, ambient music. After a relapse back on pain pills, I released "Consumed" in 2008, chronically my struggling addiction.

Fast forward two years and we find my music library has grown, my style has taken some significant changes, and a new project had emerged. This project came about while working on a song for my "Temple of Sloth Epic", a series of four songs, considerably long, that told a story of an alternate universe. I had even started writing a story based around these songs. I was on the 3rd installment of the series, "Inside the Temple of Sloth" and decided to use the newly acquired synthesizer to add more depth to the song. It was all hand written arrangements, giving me a true sense of accomplishment.

Soon I took all the material I wrote for "ItToS" and combined it into a stand-alone song, entitled "Inside [Parts I-VII]". The first song I intentionally wrote was "There Was Something Here, Once". I knew I had stumbled upon a totally new creature, I just needed to bring it to life. In between Astroid Andy albums of late 2010, I crafted 3 albums: Inside the Temple of Sloth, Inside the Temple of Sloth 2, and Collapse of the Temple of Sloth, all under the Astroid Andy name.

2011 rolled around, and I decided to give these albums, which didn't fit the Astroid Andy sound at all, a proper release. The only problem was coming up with a name to release these albums under. It took little time, and the name "Temple of Sloth" was set in stone, feeling appropriate seeing as all the music was written for the story "SLOTH" based around "The Temple Epic".

The first thing I did when I adopted the new name for the new project was to rename and revamp the albums. Inside the Temple of Sloth became simply "Inside" while Part 2 became "Her Blood:My Lips", Collapse became "The Scars You Left Behind". I moved some songs, added a few new ones, and revamped a few as well. Temple of Sloth was underway, and had a bright new future alongside Astroid Andy.

Flash forward six months and production began on the first official release by Temple of Sloth album, "Masochism". This album introduced brand new elements to the TOS sound now with strings, piano, and brass. Combining elements has always been my way of making music, it's my personality in sound. So this album came out wonderful and really shines in the Temple of Sloth Discography. Following "Masochism" came the (unreleased) "The Process of Decay", a prelude to the "Sloth Epic". This marks the first time on any TOS release that drums are used, curiosity of the Astroid Andy sound department. Also on this release is a bonus song as the finale of the album by "The Andy Day Project", a combination of both Astroid Andy and Temple of Sloth's sound structure and definitive sounds.

The next Temple of Sloth release will be entitled "Omnipresence Decayed", which will be a fairly late point in the ending plot of the story Sloth. I'll report updates on this sometime after the release of "The Process of Decay", which I'm planning a lot for.

Included with the release will be a downloadable folder containing photos, album covers, concept designs for alternate album covers, detailed song descriptions including excepts from the story Sloth, the entire chapter in the story Sloth this album took it's title from, 3 Temple of the Astroid songs: Astroid Andy songs combined with Temple of Sloth songs.( Not to be confused with "The Andy Day Project", this is simply just the name I gave for these remixes. They are complete versions of both artist songs combined into one.), "The Andy Day Project" exclusive song, and 3 Astroid Andy Remixes from the Sanctuary Saga.

I have big plans for this project, and I just hope one day it gets recognized and enjoyed by a wide audience as well as Astroid Andy. Astral Productions is my heart and soul. I hope you enjoy all it has to offer.


Temple of Sloth

No comments:

Post a Comment