Thursday, November 10, 2011

Story Within "There Was a HOLE Here. It's Gone Now" - An article by Andy Day

It's hard to say an instrumental album is a concept album. But I'll be damned if I don't claim them to be, in the sense a person can hear the story within the sounds, without it being drawn out for them. Well, now I'm giving my take on a concept album to a new level with The Andy Day Project's "There Was a HOLE Here. It's Gone Now." with the addition of vocals on almost every track. They're spoken, they're acted out, they have heavy distortion on them, echos, and tons of editing. But there is always a moment of clarity within the chaos of my new vocal structure. While some songs are scripted, others are improved with a massive amount of recording time, then all the usable parts get kept and rest is scrapped of saved for the "Making Of..." feature or the "Blooper Reel".
So what's the concept of this album? Being lost in a world of darkness, despair, and fear. Walking through an abandoned city in ruins, in another plane of existence, accessed through the act of masochism. The past is very much alive, as memories act as apparitions, manifesting themselves into the modern spectrum of reality in real time. This city's inhabitants are genetic byproducts, scientific antichrists, and a few stragglers struggling to survive this nightmare.
This is a totally new project for me, hence the name credited on the album.
Musically, this has been a blast to create, while overly stressful in other instances where technical malfunctions were present. The original idea behind "The Andy Day Project" was to take both existing styles and methods of music making I had taught myself, and combine them to make an entirely new sound. The idea of having lyrics wasn't even considered in the fetal stages.
It happened by accident. I was wandering the electronics of Walmart, looking at 5.1 surround sound systems, wireless keyboards, and a wireless mouse. I happened to notice a microphone, by Logitech (a brand I love to buy), for $8.00. I thought to myself, I can edit really well at this point in the game, and I can do custom effects in my sleep. Let's give it a shot. So I bought the microphone and quickly took to recording bits and pieces of my voice, playing around with the samples until I started seeing results that would actually enhance the music I was writing. I quickly recorded an improv song, "The Smell of Blood", which is the basis of the album's storyline. Soon came the task of writing lyrics, something I'm completely new to. But they came, and I found a new way to express myself through my music. I wrote the song "This is Forever" about broken promises, and the pain of dying love. The song "Echoing" is about being lost in the city, with a brief comment on the existence of time. Other songs like "Tape One: Recordings" and "Tape Two: Words of Warning" are merely readings of papers found next to a corpse in the game Silent Hill 2.

TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments:

Post a Comment